To apply to the graduate program in mathematics you will need to apply to the Graduate School at the University of Kentucky. Once your application has been submitted online, the Mathematics Department will be notified that you have applied. Your application for the graduate programs in mathematics will automatically be considered for teaching assistantships and, if completed by January 15, for fellowships as well. Please do the following:
Apply to the UK Graduate School
To apply to the Graduate School, please follow the instructions and fill out an online application.
Please note that the graduate school no longer accepts paper-based application. You will be asked to submit the following items; see the graduate school information page for more details.
- Official GRE scores are required for admission. You will be asked to self-report these scores on the application (you can also supply a future date for taking the test). We will, however, also require official scores from the reporting agency. GRE scores should be sent directly to the UK Graduate School from the Educational Testing Service (ETS); the Institution Code for the GRE for UK Graduate School is R1837.
- You will be asked to upload copies of transcripts from all higher education institutions attended and, in the case of domestic students, to self-report cumulative GPA’s for each institution. If you are offered admission and decide to enroll you will then be required to submit official transcripts to the Graduate School.
- Application fee of $65 for domestic applicants or $75 for international applicants. This must be paid online.
All applicants whose native language is not English will be asked to self-report one of these scores on the application. As for GRE scores, we also require official language scores be sent to us directly from the reporting agency.
- TOEFL scores should be sent directly to the UK Graduate School from Educational Testing Service (ETS); the Institution Code for the TOEFL for UK Graduate School is 1837.
- IELTS scores should be sent directly to us from the International English Language Testing Service specifying the University of Kentucky Graduate School, Lexington, Kentucky as the recipient institution.
- The TOEFL/IELTS requirement can be waived for students who have completed a four-year bachelor's degree or a master's degree in the U.S. or another Engish-speaking country. Please contact the University Graduate School if you have questions about the language testing requirement.
- Three letters of recommendation. At least two of these letters should be from faculty in upper-division mathematics courses or others who are familiar with your work in mathematics. You will be asked to list on your application the contact information for each of your references. Please provide your references with these guidelines for referees.
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or resume. You will be asked to upload your CV to the application.
- A statement of purpose is required for applicants who wish to be considered for competitive fellowships, otherwise it is optional. This document should be one or two pages and can include your background, your preparation and your purpose for going to graduate school, your career goal and your research and teaching interests. You may upload your optional statement of purpose to the application.
Below are the application deadlines. Most students begin in the fall. Please write for additional information about spring admission.
- International applications for admission and support (15 January)
- Domestic Applications for Fellowships (15 January)
- Review of application for teaching assistantships begins (15 January)
- Domestic Application for Teaching Assistantships (Final deadline) (15 May)
- Admission for fall semester (20 July (approximate)
- Admission for spring semester (domestic applications) (1 December (approximate)