By Gail Hairston, Amy Jones, Kody Kiser
Six University of Kentucky professors were honored last night by the UK Alumni Association for the excellence they demonstrate in the classroom.
Click here for a transcription of the video above.
This year’s recipients of the 2012 Great Teacher Awards are:
- Kristin Ashford, assistant professor, College of Nursing
- Arne Bathke, director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Statistics and director of the Applied Statistics Laboratory, College of Arts & Sciences
- Eric Christianson, associate professor in the Department of History, College of Arts & Sciences
- James Haubenreich, associate professor of Restorative Dentistry, College of Dentistry
- Ajay Mehra, associate professor in the Department of Management, Gatton College of Business & Economics
- Ana Rueda, chairwoman and professor of Peninsular Spanish Literature in the Department of Hispanic Studies, College of Arts & Sciences
Started in 1961, the Great Teacher Award is the oldest continuous award that recognizes teaching at UK. The nominations are made by students. Selection of the award recipients is made by the UK Alumni Association Great Teacher Award Committee, in cooperation with the student organization Omicron Delta Kappa. Great Teacher Award recipients each receive a citation, an engraved plaque and a cash award.
The Great Teacher Award recipients were featured on "UK at the Half" duirng the radio broadcast of the UK vs. Arkansas game Tuesday night, Jan. 17.
"UK at the Half" airs during halftime of each UK football and basketball game broadcast on radio and is hosted by Carl Nathe of UK Public Relations and Marketing.